These cilantro lime shrimp tacos are a fresh and simple weeknight dinner option that comes together in 20 minutes!
Your New Favorite Taco
Complex recipes are great and all, but do you ever just yearn for a simple weeknight recipe with minimal moving parts that still tastes really freaking good? These cilantro lime shrimp tacos are exactly that and let me tell you, these might be your go-to taco from now on (bold statement, I know).
Today I’m showing you how to make my version of a simple, “reminiscent of California” shrimp taco. It brings just the right amount of fresh flavor from cilantro and lime, and a luscious cream sauce. You’ll want to drizzle it on everything.
Tips for Faster Weeknight Cooking
Shrimp is so underrated. I often forget about it when picking out proteins for the week but in all honesty, it’s kind of a powerhouse. It cooks super fast (even if you buy frozen) and is extremely versatile. Basically, it’s your secret weapon for faster weeknight meals.
Besides tacos, try it in my stupid easy summer rolls, mixed up with a quick pasta dish or even in seafood enchiladas. If you’re really short on time, buy it pre-cooked, which I often do if there’s no marinade involved.
I know time is a huge barrier to cooking at home, so I love sharing tips for speeding up that routine whenever possible. Here are a few of my favorites (besides cooking with shrimp):
- Prep vegetables on the weekend when you might have more free time, or…
- Buy pre-chopped vegetables when it makes sense
- Go semi-homemade, which means supplementing with some pre-made/convenience items
- Clean as you go so you don’t have a mound of dishes waiting after you finish eating
- Tag team your recipe. If you have a roommate, significant other or children – ask them to jump in and help!
Essential Toppings for Cilantro Lime Tacos
As I mentioned above, I was going for something reminiscent of California with these and the final product certainly fit that bill.
Toppings are fresh and minimal and include: shredded green cabbage, diced tomatoes, thinly sliced avocado, jalapeño, and some sort of creamy lime sauce.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Prep your vegetables while the shrimp cooks and assembly of these will be a total breeze! Don’t forget to finish with an extra squeeze of lime. Best eaten al fresco with an ice cold cerveza (or over the kitchen sink).Print
Cilantro Lime Shrimp Tacos
These cilantro lime shrimp tacos are a fresh and simple weeknight dinner option. They come together in just 20 minutes!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3–4 servings 1x
- Category: Mains
- 1 lb raw, deveined shrimp
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Corn tortillas
- Green cabbage, sliced very thin (or buy pre-shredded)
- Roma tomato, diced
- Avocado, sliced
- Jalapeño, thinly sliced
- Add all shrimp ingredients to a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp in a single layer (working in batches if necessary) and cook until pink and opaque. Expect about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to a cutting board and repeat until all shrimp are cooked. Remove tails, then chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make crema and prep vegetables if you haven’t already. Warm corn tortillas in a bit of oil in a separate small skillet until charred and slightly bubbly.
- Assemble tacos: corn tortilla, ~1/4 cup shrimp, cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, 2-3 jalapeño slices, drizzle of crema, extra cilantro. Enjoy!
- I used the stovetop to cook the shrimp, but you can also grill it or use the oven if preferred.
Keywords: cilantro lime shrimp, fish and seafood, 20 minute meals, tacos
Want More Plant-Forward Recipes?
Join my VIP list and I'll send you five reader favorites! Healthy, flavor-packed recipes. What's not to love about that?