This 4 ingredient guacamole recipe is simple and perfect. Serve it as an appetizer with tortilla chips, or as a side dish with your favorite Mexican meals.
In the hierarchy of snacks, guacamole and chips are definitely at the top of my list. What is it that makes it just so satisfying?
I think it’s the balance of flavors/textures. Guacamole is creamy, salty, and bright with just the right amount of acid. Add crunchy tortilla chips and every single craving is covered.
While you might usually associate chips and guac with a restaurant, rest-assured it is completely doable to make at home too. This recipe only has four ingredients and I promise no flavor or quality has been sacrificed.
Ingredients for 4-Ingredient Guacamole
Other popular guacamole ingredients are minced onion, jalapeños and even chopped tomatoes (those are controversial). I find that less is more so you don’t have too much of a “bite”. Keep it simple with just four ingredients for a smooth and creamy texture that just sort of melts in your mouth.
How to Make Guacamole Step-by-Step
Guacamole is one of the simplest things you can make but there are a few key tips and techniques to making really good guacamole.
Start by choosing ripe avocados
Choosing perfectly ripe avocados is probably the most important step of all. If you pick avocados that are too hard, your guac will be watery with an off-putting coarse texture. Plus it will be hard to mix up. Go too soft and your avocados might be brown and mealy inside (even if the taste is there, it won’t be visually appealing).
Step 1: Cube the avocado
Cutting the avocado into cubes will help you achieve that slightly chunky texture that everyone loves! I like to slice the avocado in half, remove the pit, and cut a cross-hatch pattern in each side before scooping out with a spoon. For a safer cut, place the avocado on a sturdy cutting board instead of in your hand while using the knife.
Step 2: Finely mince the cilantro
Cilantro is such an integral ingredient in guacamole but it should be chopped very finely so you don’t get too large a bite. Remember that it’s all right to include some of the tender stems too. Use your sharpest knife.
Step 3: Lightly mash mixture with a fork
Instead of whipping the ingredients until completely smooth, it’s best to use a fork and lightly mash, leaving some chunks intact. It looks great and those smooth creamy avocado chunks are always the best!
Recommended Tortilla Chips
When it comes to your vehicle, tortilla chips are not all created equally. Here are three of my favorites that you should be able to find at most stores.
- These store-brand blue corn chips are thin, crispy and salty. I love the color contrast of the blue, and these are a more economical choice.
- If you shop at Costco, I highly recommend checking out these sea salt multigrain chips which are sold in a huge bag (you can also find them at other stores in a smaller size). They’re a bit sturdier, which is great for heartier dips like guacamole. And they have a delicious nutty flavor.
- Siete Foods makes a grain-free option and you can’t go wrong with any of the flavors. These are a bit pricier, but they often have sales.
Homemade guacamole doesn’t have any preservatives in it like the store-bought kind. This means the top will most-likely brown after a day or so. The good news is, this doesn’t impact the flavor. Just scrape off the top layer or mix it up and you’ll be good-to-go for up to two days.
Absolutely! Even if you only have one avocado on hand you can still make guacamole by adding about a teaspoon of chopped cilantro, a small squeeze of lime juice and a pinch of salt. Use the 1x, 2x, 3x buttons above the ingredients list in the recipe card to scale it for a big group.
So this is my go-to 4-ingredient guacamole recipe! I almost always have cilantro, limes and salt on hand so as long as I remember to pick up extra avocados, a creamy and delicious appetizer is just a few minutes away.
Perfect for an impromptu Friday night happy hour at home. Your kitchen will feel like your favorite restaurant.Print
4 Ingredient Guacamole Recipe
This 4 ingredient guacamole is simple and perfect. Serve it as an appetizer with tortilla chips, or as a side dish with your favorite Mexican meals.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
- 4 medium avocados, peeled, pitted & diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- kosher salt, to taste
- Add avocado, lime juice and cilantro to a medium bowl and use a fork to mash lightly, leaving some larger chunks of avocado intact. Season with salt. Serve with tortilla chips.
- The equipment section above provides affiliate links to things I use often in my kitchen and love.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days (some browning might occur on the top, but you can mix it up and the flavor or quality won’t be affected).
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 162 calories
- Fat: 15 grams
- Carbohydrates: 10 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 0 grams
Keywords: cinco de mayo recipes, simple guacamole, 5 ingredients or less, 15 minutes or less
Want More Plant-Forward Recipes?
Join my VIP list and I'll send you five reader favorites! Healthy, flavor-packed recipes. What's not to love about that?