Sunshine in a bowl! This smoothie tastes like a frozen tropical drink thanks to a combination of orange juice, banana and frozen mango. Add a little toasted coconut and you’ll be transported right to the beach. Note: this was a contest entry in partnership with The Feed Feed and Florida Orange Juice. I originally posted the first photo on Instagram on 3/22/2021.
I’m all for turning every day into a celebration or vacation of sorts. A celebratory cocktail after turning in a big project. Pizza on a weeknight. You know the feeling I’m sure. Well this tropical smoothie bowl takes me right on vacation and instantly brightens my mood. Between the monochromatic color scheme and the bright flavor pop, it’s such a delicious (and nutritious!) start to the day.
Here’s what you need to make it:
- plain yogurt. I always keep plain full-fat yogurt on hand because it’s so versatile and a blank canvas. Here, it offers a solid dose of protein and fat for balance with all the fruit. And gut healthy bacteria of course!
- frozen mango. staying with that tropical theme, and it adds a nice creaminess.
- frozen banana. for the silky smooth texture.
- 100% orange juice. extra pulp please!
- ginger. I’m currently loving these frozen ginger cubes. One cube = one teaspoon. Great in a pinch if you don’t have any fresh ginger, but also very convenient.
- turmeric & cinnamon. these flavors pair really well with orange. Bonus: the turmeric adds a more vibrant color.
I typically use a milk or plant-based milk for the base of smoothies, but I do really enjoy the brightness that juice brings too.
But you know when it comes to smoothie bowls, it’s all about the toppings right?
Smoothie Bowl Topping Ideas
Go crazy with whatever toppings suit your mood here.
- flaked coconut
- crunchy granola
- nuts & seeds
- sliced/chopped fruit
- a drizzle of peanut butter
- an extra swirl of yogurt
- even fresh herbs, like mint!
It’s fun to get creative and let your inner artist come out. If it’s borderline too pretty to eat, you probably did it right.
You might also like:
- Matcha Green Tea Ginger Smoothie Bowl
- Peanut Butter Acai Bowl
- Citrus Salad with Honey Lime Yogurt and Spicy Walnuts
Sunshine Smoothie Bowl
Sunshine in a bowl. This smoothie tastes like a frozen tropical drink thanks to a combination of orange juice and frozen mango. It’s an instant mood booster!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 smoothie bowl 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2/3 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt (I used Fage 5%)
- 1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1/2 small frozen banana
- 1/2 cup 100% orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated (I use one of these frozen cubes)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- optional toppings: orange slice, toasted coconut flakes, granola, sliced banana, extra spices, hemp hearts
- Add all ingredients to a blender and mix until smooth and creamy. Pour into a bowl and add preferred toppings.
- The equipment section above includes affiliate links to things I use often in my kitchen and recommend.
- Nutrition information doesn’t include toppings.
- Add more or less liquid based on how thick you like it. Make it drinkable by adding more liquid; “spoonable” by adding less.
- Serving Size: 1 smoothie bowl
- Calories: 315 calories
- Fat: 8 grams
- Carbohydrates: 46 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 16 grams
Keywords: smoothie bowls, smoothies, mango, orange juice, citrus
Want More Plant-Forward Recipes?
Join my VIP list and I'll send you five reader favorites! Healthy, flavor-packed recipes. What's not to love about that?
Leave a Reply